Skip to main content

Defending Man of Steel.

1
The movie was great, so I'm going to skip any minor thoughts or opinions I have about specific moments or sequences I thought could've been done differently. 
 
I'm just going to jump right in.
 
 
I'm over the perfect Superman. The bedtime Superman, who, no matter what, always makes lemonade from a bag of horrible, rotten lemons. 
 
I like this new interpretation of Superman's beginning. A Superman, who, with all his powers, is, at times, unable to put the world back together...'cause ya know what, sometimes horrible things happen and you can't save everyone; especially while you're trying to save your own life, because you're the only one who can stop the utter destruction of the world. 
 
Question: Ever watch the old Superman/JL(U) cartoons; ever read comics? 
*@!% gets blown up all the time. Buildings fall. Explosions happen. There's a ton of destruction spread for miles. We just "assume" the people live. Why? 'Cause for the most part, their deaths (all those untold innocent people) aren't captured on the page or in the animation or we somehow magically believe the buildings, streets, cars, subways are empty. The very same thing happened in this movie. However, somehow people are calling it a dishonor to Superman. Are you kidding me? Did those same fans get mad during the Avengers' alien invasion?
 
This was the War Superman. 
This was the School of Hard Knocks Superman. 
This Superman, was, in effect, the "I live by the skin of my teeth" Superman. His first run on the world's stage and he had to deal with this! WE (the humans in that world) got lucky he was able to take the beating he did. Everyone outmatched or over powered him. From birth, they were all warriors bred with the knowledge, skill and force of will to do what needed to be done to win the day. These are real enemies. Real conquerors who only value Kryptonian life. These aren't Dragon Ball Z baddies. They wouldn't follow Superman away from the innocent population so they could fight where it's safe; nor would they be kept from civilian populations even if Superman managed to do so for a short period of time: such an idea or plot scheme has always been ridiculous to me. 
 
Also keep in mind, this Superman isn't the Superman you know. 1) He isn't a master of his powers, which drastically effects his effectiveness in battle and 2) Most importantly, he didn't grow up with a love for his fellow Man. Very early on and for most of his life, he was taught/lived to fear Humans—in relation to them being able to accept him. He was an outcast, with no attachments to anyone but his parents and later Lois.
 
Finally, Superman is made out to be "The Man of Steel" but this only applies to things lesser than himself. Once met with equal or threatening force: Zod's ship (where he bleeds) and later when fighting Zod's followers; later Zod himself...yep, that's one helluva wake up call for someone who'd spent his entire life thus far not appreciating what fear or pain was. 

That leads me to the scene that freaked everyone out...
Considering the context of the story, the unstoppable, unshakable enemy that's a threat to Superman and the world in such an absolute way, I'm 100% OK with the moment that made me situp and gasp with the rest of the audience. To me, after thinking about it, it made sense and truly—not figuratively from some never tested moral high ground—gives Superman the reason and drive he needs to never find himself in that position ever again.
 
Which is why, from here on out, fans will get the Superman they know.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Reivew: The Dark Tower

I've read the whole series and I've read all the comics... I enjoyed the movie. Lots of good things to talk about it. Few bumps. One or two bad moments. Overall, good movie. I hope they make more. So, let's get into it—and since I enjoyed the movie, it won't be that long of a review: more to talk about when it sucks :)  So, this is the world you know.... Now, the WHEEL has turned and Roland has been returned to the beginning....and yet, it's not the beginning as you know it, nor is THIS "The Gunslinger" the same as the one you've read, the world has moved on and many things have changed and yet some things are still the same ..... So, that's crucial point in understanding and accepting this movie as BOTH (book) 8 and yet the start of a WHOLE NEW ADVENTURE.  IF YOU CAN'T ACCEPT THAT, DON'T EVEN BOTHER WATCHING THE MOVIE   But for those who can, let us continue.    !SPOILERS!

Ink Master is BACK!

Yep. It's back! So let's do the rundown since we're already two episodes in.  FIRST!  They had to earn their shops this time, which was a fun and cool concept. By watching them do Convention Style Tattooing, you got to see a range of their skills. Most everyone did ok, with a few pointers needed here'n'there: Matti Hixson, Scott Marshall and Sausage (yes, that's his name) rounding out the overall best. Then they got into the final tattoos of the day, which was their choice...David Bell did a crushed skull and since he didn't represent it as being such, I think that's why he got picked out for it not being "readable"; but I think it was a cool. Randy Vollink did a water-color ship, which didn't look bad, but wasn't up to par. Keith Diffenderfer did an ugly, ghoulish woman...SORRY, no one wants an ugly chick on their body, I don't care who you are and the judges told him so. Everyone else kinda fell in the middle thereafter a

My review of Justice League

So, if you read my review of BvS: Dawn of Justice, and you follow me on FB and Twitter, you're likely surprised I even saw this movie. Me too. But, it just so happens an opportunity fell into my lap and so I decided to check it out. No, this isn't at all the JL I'd hoped for, but it's what we got. First, as I did with BvS I'll jump right in and say IT ISN'T TERRIBLE!!!!!!! (unlike BvS) Ok, Now, let's rate it: Overall, it's between a 6ish and 7, depending on what you think are the pros and cons, which we'll get to. (Again, I rated BvS a 3.5 to 5, so much improvement) The plot is kinda straight forward and so I won't really much comment, though, the gathering of the team was weak. To be fair, really, the first half of the movie was bad to not very good—it was really  simple, worse than childlike in it's reasoning: "Hey guys, lets make a team to save the world" and so, we'll cover each teammate in turn because